Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Adventure Begins!!

(It’s a long one)

Sorry for the delay readers, it’s been a whirlwind with limited internet access but we’re back now!

Well after a busy week of school last week, with Tiramisu making on Monday, two project presentations, one paper, and a test my study abroad in Asolo, Italy came to an end.  We literally took finals on Thursday morning and were shipped out of town by 2:30 that afternoon.  It all felt a little rushed but I loved my time at the campus there with its amazing views, local gelateria, pizza Tuesdays, the CIMBAnzees group, and my ongoing fight with the internet system, all in all it’s bittersweet.  I never thought I would enjoy the 4 week program as much as I did and also slam out 6 elective credits in the process.  The friends I made in the program were just icing on the cake that I will miss for sure, and it wasn’t goodbyes really more like see ya later’s.  If any of you CIMBAnzees are reading this I hope your extended travels or trips home find you safe.  I’m so lucky to have had the opportunity to do what many students never get the chance to.  I actually learned quite a bit about Lean Principles, and Management of Technology & Innovation, the professors were top notch in my book, some understood the study abroad aspect of weekend travel more than others, but the two classes I ended up picking worked well together.  Still don’t know when or where to check my grades, but oh well lol!  Did it feel fast and a bit monotonous at times, yes, but so completely worth it.  I’m literally shocked the last four weeks are gone and time is moving on.  And above all else, it was the gateway into my European adventure with my sister-in-law Magen.  That is a completely different story all in itself!

Well Thursday afternoon brought my trip to Turin, Italy where I would be meeting Magen.  Arriving at dusk it was a bit scary after talking with a local Nigerian woman who pretty much told me Turin is sketch and to be extra careful with all the immigrants around, she also had some really nice things to say though and I wish her daughter (pending college graduation) the best of luck, and hope her wedding plans come to terms soon.  She did explain the enormous headache it was trying to get a visa for the US if you’re not a married woman.  There was also an Italian lady with long white hair that wouldn’t stop complaining about something on the train (at these times I’m glad I don’t speak their language, I just smile and nod), her hair was gorgeous but she was in a tizzy about something, probably the American sitting across the way listening to his iPod ; ) .  Also on the train I came to the conclusion that glasses in Italy are a huge fashion statement, nearly everyone has them and no two pair look alike, in all shapes and colors, wish I could pull it off myself.  Solo travel to Turin wasn’t anywhere close to as exciting as past trips with a group.  It was then I realized how truly thankful I am that Magen shares my dream of backpacking Europe and was able to join me.  The independence of it wouldn’t have stopped me I don’t think, but I’m so glad to have someone to share the experience with and reason through the popular improv that’s needed for the varying European systems.  After arriving in Turin it was just me, a Google map printout, and the huge (first capital of Italy) monstrosity of Turin.  After wandering around aimlessly for over 1.5 hours on varying street names and a confusing metro system, I finally managed to find some young Italians who walked me to the hotel, my feet were extremely thankful.  Along the way we chatted about my Americanism and their limited English, while they both rolled their own smoke and got a light from a train station police officer.  Pretty sure God sent them to me on those dark streets that night, there’s so many instances where I just look up and say “you walked me through that didn’t you?  THANKS!” haha.  It has never been so good to see a familiar face, after a quick sweaty hug, a debrief on her arrival, and a hot shower, I hit that pillow hard.  The next day was a new day with new challenges, and I was glad to see the yester go.  Things started off a bit fast and stressful but are quickly leveling out.

The next day Magen and I had a long train ride to Rome, I never realized how far south it really is, but so worth it.  That train ride brought its own fair share of relaxation, but also an interesting scene with a half dressed local drunk with a bandaged arm, some loud kids, and several stops.  I was glad Magen got to ride the train through Cinque Terre area though.  After booking a last minute hostel stay we weren’t real sure where we were headed.  After riding the metro to our stop we came up the stairs and the search began.  We stood at several different bus stops for a good 2 hours looking for ours that would take us 18km south of Rome to our hostel.  Finally we realized we needed to go downstairs across the street to reach our bus, such a challenge but an awesome adventure.  Arriving at our hostel was a nice surprise.  It was actually a huge campground, kind of like a family amusement park community that was very welcoming, and away from the hussle and bussle of Rome.  After receiving an upgrade to have a whole bungalow all to ourselves, our day was made.  The bungalows were similar to a camping trailer, just bigger and stationary.  We ended up loving the place and were sad to leave.  We each got our own room, A/C, a nice hot shower, and small market and restaurant nearby, and limited internet access.  If you’re looking for a cheap stay for a Rome trip I would definitely recommend Camping Fabulous!

Our first day in Rome was exciting and productive.  After purchasing the Roma Pass (25 euro for free public travel and free entrance into two attractions within 3 days, thanks Rick Steves) we began by quickly figuring out the convenient Metro Station that took you exactly where you needed to be for the attractions.  We began at the Vatican City Museum (with a large discount using our ISIC cards) with a stroll through the courtyard, multiple displays which even included some Egyptian artifacts, and a maze of halls to our final arrival in the Sistine Chapel.  Truly a holy experience with ancient works of art that I can’t even begin to describe!  Just the hallways to the grand finale were breathtaking.  My favorite was of course the fingertip reach between Adam and God, Magen’s was the School of Athens where multiple ancient scholars were all shown together.  A chapel with a ceiling four years in the making touched by the hands of Michelangelo and Raphael, how could that not be impressive?  All we could talk about was our disbelief for what we were seeing and that we had the opportunity to do so.  Truly an amazing experience.  Exiting through St. Peter’s Square with admiration for the uniqueness of the Catholic staple and enjoying a little people watching we tried to take it all in.  The amount of money rolling through that place everyday is insane, with 17 euro per head and maybe at least 2000+ people a day, that’s an excellent source of funding.  The preservation and religious ties are nothing but respected and admired in my book though. 

From there we ventured on to the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon (oldest church in Rome), and Piazza Navona with Magen’s Four River’s Fountain and another chapel where we took advantage of the opportunity to thank God for the opportunity and the safety he’s provided so far.  After realizing how close everything was together we even walked by the High Courts which we were informed by a local woman didn’t offer very good monuments or decisions haha, and on to Castel Sant’ Angelo., which brought us back again to St. Peter’s Square.  Each were amazing sights to witness with independent beauties. 

The next day brought us to the Colosseo, Arco di Costantino, the Roman Forum, the Palatino, and Circo Massimo.  Using our Roma passes we skipped large lines and earned free entrance.  The Colosseum was probably my favorite above all, just piecing together the ruins and imagining the liveliness that took place in a system not so foreign from our own was awesome.  Sadly many tragedies unfolded in its arena under a vast and powerful rule, but the idea that man could build such a mass that many years ago is dumbfounding.  Discovering a cement mixture and having impressive engineering skills, it’s still standing mostly and is a must for all Bucket List’s.  Trying to imagine an ancient civilization where so much was misguided but other expertise were spot on brings to question, just how far have we really evolved?  The Roman Forum was a rare treat which Magen could have gotten lost in had I not slowed her down.  For an avid reader’s mind I can’t even imagine what she was able to put together with the uncovered foundations of the area.  Trying to see the games played in the Palatino was a fun mind adventure as well.  The Circo Massimo was a bit disappointing but ole Rick Steves tried to warn us with its one triangle rating.  After an extremely rewarding and productive two days in Europe we were headed back to Turin for my stupid luggage from school.  I’m currently dragging it around because the storage place in the train station only allows 15 days max, the four hotels I asked couldn’t help, and I couldn’t mail used clothes home through the Italian Postal System.  Hopefully we find an alternative option soon, maybe FedEx will find us in Vienna.

After a long stop in Turin we headed to Salzburg, Austria and had our first sleeper train experience.  It was interesting to say the least, efficient, unrestful stints of napping, and an early train switch in Insburg but saved us a hostel fee for the night.  We also got to experience first class service which my Eurrail Pass doesn’t cover but Magen’s does, I wasn’t supposed to be there but the ticket salesmen obviously don’t pay attention.  It was nice, while it lasted!

Arriving in Salzburg brought an early sunrise around 5am, chilly air, gorgeous mountain silhouettes, and two tired backpackers.  After another but more efficient bus finding adventure we found the right stop and headed a little out of town to our Bed and Breakfast, Haus Christine.  After the bus stop you walk over a train bridge and up a 50 degree hill for 10 minutes then look on the left.  Pretty simple right? Haha ya. . . We were extremely glad to see that sign none-the-less, took showers quickly, and napped till a little after lunch time.  We took it easy today and caught up on our updated itinerary, hoping my sore feet do some healing.  We headed to a local restaurant where I had some cream of garlic soup (which you would LOVE Dad), sausage and french fries, with an amazing raspberry ice cream whip dessert which we split.  We ventured out into the town the next day, after a pretty satisfying breakfast at our B&B, to see some Catacombs and the largest most impenetrable Fortress in Europe!  It was an exciting day walking around the old city with much less tourist jumble, clean mountain air, loads of wildflowers (Mom), and new and exciting languages to listen to! I’ve decided I could live in Austria, this part at least, where the showers are amazing, the people are friendly, flowers have their own green thumbs, rain is plentiful along with rivers and trees, and time passes by on what I like to call a gradual casual (they use the word Gemutlichkeit)!

It’s a small world after all, we met a couple of Texas girls also backpacking at breakfast this morning, from the Austin area.  Their trip is almost at its end after they head to Ireland, but it was nice to see some fellow Texans. 

We made it to Vienna safely this afternoon, climbed the 343 step South Tower for some grand views of the city and had a great dinner close to the Opera House.  We turned it in a little early to catch up on internet communications tonight, we finally have a good wifi in our apartment hotel!  Tomorrow should be another grand day Austrian style!

Our Updated Itinerary, we decided the out of way trip through Greece wasn’t reasonable so we improvised, guess it will have to wait for another day:  Rome, Salzburg Austria, Vienna, Budapest Hungary, Prague Czech Republic, Frankfurt Germany, Brussels, London UK, Paris, Lausanne Switzerland, maybe Florence for Magen, and back to Turin.  We still have three gap days which I’m sure we will fill in somehow!  So excited to see what awaits and once again time is flying, just trying to take it all in and document it with pictures (226 in Rome alone).  Loving every surreal moment, thanking God for my blessings, and missing those back home. 

As always thanks for reading, check back soon, and happy days your way!

Pictures:  Public Facebook Link: 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment